BOOK REVIEW #35- MOSQUITOLAND


BLURB:

"I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange." 

After the sudden collapse of her family, Mim Malone is dragged from her home in northern Ohio to the "wastelands" of Mississippi, where she lives in a medicated milieu with her dad and new stepmom. Before the dust has a chance to settle, she learns her mother is sick back in Cleveland.

So she ditches her new life and hops aboard a northbound Greyhound bus to her real home and her real mother, meeting a quirky cast of fellow travelers along the way. But when her thousand-mile journey takes a few turns she could never see coming, Mim must confront her own demons, redefining her notions of love, loyalty, and what it means to be sane.

Told in an unforgettable, kaleidoscopic voice, "Mosquitoland" is a modern American odyssey, as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.


MY THOUGHTS:

I don't know what I feel about this book.

The main reason I read this book is because I just thought I could read this book in a day. You see, I try to read a book on every weekend. But my thoughts are completely shattered and I lost interest on finishing it that day. So it took me days because I don’t want to DNF the book.

I think this book is not for me. Has anyone read a book that feels creepy? Yup, everything about this book was creepy to me. And the characters were not promising at all. But the book was successful in making me confused. Almost all the time, I was like what the hell is happening here? Can anyone explain me, please? Am I the only one who couldn’t get what the book is talking about?

Though, I loved the traveling adventure. As a person who is constantly living between the walls and only travel when there is a need(for Uni), I need this kind of adventure in my life. And of course, the book has its own hilarious and thoughtful moments. I guess if you put a lot of thoughts on this one, you could get something. Because I couldn’t gather anything from this.

But the book made me watch Titanic. Yup, shoot me, kill me. I just watched Titanic because they talked about Jack Dawson(my precious darling). And I need to see it. After watching the film, I was like “Shit, my 20 years of life was wasted by not watching this movie”. It broke my heart into pieces and my emotions were all over the place. I love tragedies. And of course, after watching this, I was in a full search mode. How many movies are there in this world which is waiting for me to watch. If you do have some recommendations, I would love to hear them.

I was sadly disappointed with this book.

MY RATINGS: Dreadful

~Until next time!

Comments