BOOK REVIEW #37 - VASSA IN THE NIGHT


BLURB:

In the enchanted kingdom of Brooklyn, the fashionable people put on cute shoes, go to parties in warehouses, drink on rooftops at sunset, and tell themselves they’ve arrived. A whole lot of Brooklyn is like that now—but not Vassa’s working-class neighborhood.

In Vassa’s neighborhood, where she lives with her stepmother and bickering stepsisters, one might stumble onto magic, but stumbling out again could become an issue. Babs Yagg, the owner of the local convenience store, has a policy of beheading shoplifters—and sometimes innocent shoppers as well. So when Vassa’s stepsister sends her out for light bulbs in the middle of night, she knows it could easily become a suicide mission.

But Vassa has a bit of luck hidden in her pocket, a gift from her dead mother. Erg is a tough-talking wooden doll with sticky fingers, a bottomless stomach, and a ferocious cunning. With Erg’s help, Vassa just might be able to break the witch’s curse and free her Brooklyn neighborhood. But Babs won’t be playing fair…
 


MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

You know how problematic the mathematics was. This book exceeds the level of complexity than the maths subject. I was perplexed throughout the book. I read the words but sometimes I couldn't make any sense of it. And this was a retelling of Russian folk story. I haven't read the original story, so I couldn't tell whether it was a good one.

I don't know what I feel about this book. Nah., maybe I should re-phrase it. Do I feel anything for this book? DEFINITELY NO.

But I was intrigued by the idea of capturing the night and holding it as a hostage in a body. This sounds pretty cool, innit? 

The people in that neighbourhood had to endure the lengthy night. Vassa was living with his stepmother and stepsisters. This would bring Cinderella's memory. But, here at least one sister was kind to her. Vassa couldn't bear living with them and that's when an opportunity came from her another infuriating sister. She provoked Vassa to go to the local convenience store where Babs, the owner was always shouting her voice off like the Queen of hearts, "Off with their heads". And that's how her magic adventures start.


As a lover of magic, of course, I would love to read anything that has the single word "MAGIC". But I didn't feel any magic in or about it. I found everything strange and weird.

The two things I feel odd about is:

1. It seems so childish to me. Maybe that was the point? Was it a middle grade?

2. Vassa has a magic wooden doll, Erg. The doll has sarcastic wits, I should appreciate it. I was okay with that. But, when it crawls over your body, it sounds creepy.

Even though it was so strange, I was NOT bored. And it's dark indeed as Leigh Bardugo blurbed. How I missed the violent murder scenes!

Saying I was disappointed would be an understatement.

MY RATING: Dreadful

~Until next time!

Comments