BOOK REVIEW #47 - THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR


BLURB:

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?
 


MY THOUGHTS:

Another cute little story to love. 

When I thought anything couldn't beat the beautiful cover of Everything Everything, the cover of The Sun is also a Star surpassed it and came like a King and boomed at me,"Bow to me you little child." This was stunning and spectacular. How can I not obey the King? And bow, I did. And now I'm patiently waiting for her next book's cover. 

When I read Everything Everything, I felt like I was reading a sort of K-drama. I love K-dramas, their love for their family, country and language. No matter how hard my friends tease me saying,"Hey, how can you even differentiate one from another? Everyone was looking same." And I was like,"Pfft, it needs some art eyes. I'm sorry you don't". And of course, I didn't say it out loud. So I think I must add this too in my skills. Dang, Yoon wrote her next book with Korean characters. Ah! How I love her!

So if you love to read more about diverse characters. This is the best choice. And I appreciate how author moved the story with some interesting science facts. Of course, I tried hard to understand that, because, well, you know I'm not a science geek. But Natasha is. She believes in Science more than fate or God. Her family was being deported from America after the officials came to know about them living illegally after the visa has been expired. Whether they really left America and went to their own country Jamaica or not? Well, you need to read it to find out!

The book is mostly told by Nathan and Daniel POVs. But still, when every new character was introduced, their POV was told too. You will get to know every character's situation. And I already mentioned about the science facts right? Sometimes I found it cool and yet confusing. And of course, you heard about it: the insta-love. Well, I didn't mind it in THIS case. How a day can change everything!

And I quite liked Daniel. I am a goner for the boys who play with words. So him trying to write poems, of course, I was pulled in. And the fact that he is a Korean cute boy added advantage to it. He understands and knows words. He always has something to tell. I admire it. And he is definitely persistent. He is a hopeless romantic guy ;)

“You know the way we feel right now? This connection between us that we don’t understand and we don’t want to let go of? That’s God.” 

"We are capable of big lives. A big history. Why settle? Why choose the practical thing, the mundane thing? We are born to dream and make the things we dream about.”

See, I told you he has a way with his words.

“The distance between who they were and who they are is so wide, we have no hope of getting them back.”

Sometimes we will lose the connection we had with our loved ones. One thing they do will lose our faith and love in them. But it's the situation that made us. Not the real person. We should think about it. And this book made me want to follow my dream.

And the thing is I like how the story was wrapped up. I would find it cliche if the book ended in another way like somehow a miracle happened to them. Thank god, it didn't happen. 

If you want a light read, then you can check this out.


MY RATINGS: Acceptable

Comments