BOOK REVIEW #48- THE SCORPIO RACES


BLURB:

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.


MY THOUGHTS:

Let me take a moment to breathe...........

BEAUTIFUL ENDING! My heart is soaring with joy. My eyes are sweating profusely. And I've a full-force grin on my face.

Let me tell the experience I had while reading this piece. I lived on an island with salt breeze always rushing on my face. I craved for November cakes. I rode the horses. I loved the feel of horse's mane on my hands. My blood was pumping when I was racing. Every moment, I heard the soft gush of the Ocean. And I was anticipating, like any second a water horse would pull me into the tides with it. Overall, I LIVED it. Such an amazing experience!

The plot was simply amazing. A race. But it's just not any normal races you have with horses/bike/car. It's a race between life and death. Well, this is what happens in every race. Let me just rephrase it. This is a bloody race, where water horses could kill you without any sweat and if you have any luck, it could pull you into the sea. Hmm, that was unfortunate too. 

I thought water horses are just adorable and beautiful creatures until I read The Scorpio Races. Thank You for making me this much scared of water horses Maggie. 

I love her writing style, man. Come on! The descriptions were damn good. That's why the experience I had was so real. I was drooling over the November cakes. And this happened while I was traveling on the bus. Thank God, I had the seat to myself. And do you know what I felt after reading the first few chapters? It was deep and intense. This book made me think nothing other than reading because if I wasn't focused enough, everything would be a blur and I would lose my connection. And I appreciate Maggie for that.

I had a lot of books on my mind before picking this one up. But the first sentence commanded me to read this book immediately. And especially, the November month.

"It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die."

And now, let's look into the characters. 

First, Sean Kendrick. I love the feel of his name on my lips. If you don't mind, I need to say it again. Sean Kendrick. Sean. SEAN KENDRICK. Okay, I'll stop. He is not like most of the guys. He won't say anything unless he is really trying to say something. He will talk one or two sentences when there is a need to talk a whole long bloody speech. Like how he knows what Corr wants, his capall uisce(water horse) and like how Corr knows what Sean wants, I know what Sean feels. "Some hearts understand each other, even in silence." by I-don't-know-whose-quote-is-that.

Kate or Puck. Whatever you want to call her. She is fearless. That's what pulls her into Sean. He loved her bravery and he respected for it. And here is the moment I need to tell you that I respect him for respecting her. I don't know why, but I felt some connection to her. Are we both same? Sheesh, I think I don't want to answer that. 

I loved their bond with the horses. Both Puck and Sean loved their horses to the core. And the horses were there with them. Aww! *wiping the lone tear which prickles my eyes*

Overall, I'm glad I read this beautiful art. And now I'm anticipating to read her other works too.


MY RATING: Exceeds Expectation

Comments