BOOK REVIEW #49- HEARTLESS


BLURB:

Long before she was the terror of Wonderland—the infamous Queen of Hearts—she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend. But according to her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for the young woman who could be the next queen.

Then Cath meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the king and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship. Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

In her first stand-alone teen novel, the New York Times-bestselling author dazzles us with a prequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
 


MY THOUGHTS:

The thing that manipulated me to read this book even though I haven't read The Lunar Chronicles, was its gorgeous cover. I was obsessed with it when it was released. But I was afraid to start this one, as I didn't enjoy the original one. But surprise, I really liked this one. Maybe I should read Alice in Wonderland once again, changes could happen.

"Villains aren't really evil, they're just heartbroken."-  Once Upon a Time

As an ardent fan of OUAT, I just can't control myself to use that quote. And this one suits Catherine, Queen of Hearts very well. This is a retelling of how she became that cruel and screaming,"Off with his/her head." I'm a type of woman who really likes to know more about villains. And having some evil makes me squeal. If you're a Oncer, you will understand why I love Regina, Rumple, Hook and the Wicked one. The statement fits everyone in this case.

I loved the writing style. And now I'm excited about TLC series. This book made me addicted to cakes and desserts. I was literally on the verge of tears because the descriptions were torture to me. Catherine is a very talented and gifted baker. Now, you know. Her dream was to own a bakery with her maid-come-friend, Mary. It was so strange seeing Catherine being a normal typical girl and dreaming other than screaming her head off.

"Fine literature does work up an appetite."

We already know the original world. So Meyer doesn't waste time by giving intricate details. I enjoyed being in the environment. And I loved the Cheshire cat. Ah! I really want to own a cat. 

"But hoping is how the impossible can be possible after all."

I would definitely recommend this to everyone who loves retelling. 


MY RATING: Acceptable

Comments