BOOK REVIEW #51 - TALES FROM THE SHADOWHUNTER ACADEMY


BLURB:

Simon Lewis has been a human and a vampire, and now he is becoming a Shadowhunter. But the events of City of Heavenly Fireleft him stripped of his memories, and Simon isn’t sure who he is anymore. He knows he was friends with Clary, and that he convinced the total goddess Isabelle Lightwood to go out with him…but he doesn’t know how. And when Clary and Isabelle look at him, expecting him to be a man he doesn’t remember…Simon can’t take it.

So when the Shadowhunter Academy reopens, Simon throws himself into this new world of demon-hunting, determined to find himself again. His new self. Whomever this new Simon might be.

But the Academy is a Shadowhunter institution, which means it has some problems. Like the fact that non-Shadowhunter students have to live in the basement. And that differences—like being a former vampire—are greatly looked down upon. At least Simon is trained in weaponry—even if it’s only from hours of playing D&D.

Join Simon on his journey to become a Shadowhunter, and learn about the Academy’s illustrious history along the way, through guest lecturers such as Jace Herondale, Tessa Gray, and Magnus Bane. These ten short stories give an epilogue to the Mortal Instruments series and provide glimpses of what’s in store in the Dark Artifices.
 


MY THOUGHTS:

It’s good to be back in this world.

I’m a trash for shadow hunter novels. No matter how many stories Clare threaded, I’ll stick to it until the very end. There is something that pulls me to her words. Something that will make my heart ache, twirl and tingly all at once whenever I read. And if a book which was solely based on my favorite character ever, how can I ignore it even though I have read it once long back.

When I found the first shadow hunter book, both the series TID and TMI were finished. Even Magnus Bane and Simon’s stories were told. So you know how late I was to the fandom. I was addicted reading every single work. And then I left the world until I watched the movie. And then I started to watch the series too, God it was so horrible I couldn’t continue. The show made Simon, a weird guy.

Anyways, no matter how you enjoyed the books, after some time it was ebbed away from my mind like the tide washing away the footprints. So after months and months, when I read this, I’m trying to reminisce every single thing. It’s like Simon’s case, Demon ate away my memories but still sometimes it would rush at me so fast I couldn’t manage the feelssss.

Simon, my BAE. I loved him so much from the moment he was introduced in the first book, City of Glass. His way of thinking, nerdy references, and his bond with Clary. Don’t yell at me for saying I practically cried my heart out when Simon didn’t get Clary. I don’t have any words to express my love for him. His body and soul, I loved everything about him. He is the best even more than JACE/WILL/JEM. Don’t even try to contradict me. But I’m fighting with myself to choose between Julian and Simon, which I couldn’t do.

And human-vampire-human-shadow hunter Simon’s experience was fun to hear in his own voice even though my heart pines and ache for him. How he struggled with this demon-amnesia. And finally, he found who he was really.

And the small stories about other characters(especially Julian and Emma) would intrigue you. Sometimes, you will feel disgusted at the Clave. The law is hard. But it is the law.

Those who can’t get enough of shadow hunter stories could read this. And of course, I would recommend this to every Simon fans out there.

MY RATING: Outstanding


Comments