BOOK REVIEW #69- RUIN AND RISING


BLURB:

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.


MY THOUGHTS:

“I am not ruined. I am ruination.”

The series ended in a smooth way. But the question is whether I liked it or not. To be honest, it was just an okay ending for me. Because my ship was ruined by the storm and I was sewing my left out pieces, my heart that is, with the thread of happiness that I will be able to meet Kaz sooner. The nervous excitement of how the story will progress, the sheer pleasure of seeing the ruthlessness of Darkling, the longing part where I couldn’t get enough of Nikolai’s wit, the surprises which completely shaken up the little me to a point where I felt nothing but numb. This is a small list of what I went through this series-ender book.

“You are the whole of my heart.”

Leigh Bardugo knows how to get the readers captivated. Her every book was blessed. And it holds the power which I crave: fast-pace. If she wrote a 1000 page length novel, I would bet on that I’ll finish it in a day. Her words were the living proof that something so simple has the power for both construction as well as destruction. Am I exaggerating? I hope not.

No matter how the story was beautifully crafted, a small tug must be there and that pull will make you fall in love with the book and its characters. And here is my naked truth: I didn’t feel any pull. I was not attached to the characters. Sure, I was relatable to Alina, as I mentioned before(Shadow and Bone). And, I wanted MORE from Darkling. I was like GIVE ME MORE. Anyways other than that, I loved Alina’s unexplainable connection to Darkling, Mal’s devotion, Zoya’s grouchy manner, David’s science world, Genya’s bravery, twins’ faith in Alina and everything that is about Darkling.

LIKES:

-- You will call me mad when I said, ”I was jumping in joy when my dear Darkling threatened Alina. Let me quote it”

“I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no shelter but me.”

I would be happy if only you became my only shelter.

-- The names that were laughing at my face because I couldn’t pronounce it correctly.

-- As I said, the surprises which completely surprised me.

DISLIKE:

-- Unforgettable things that happened to Nikolai.

CONFESSION: A little bored at some parts.

MY RATING: Acceptable

Comments