BOOK REVIEW #79 - A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC


BLURB:

Kell is one of the last travelers--magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel universes connected by one magical city. 

There's Grey London, dirty and boring, without any magic, and with one mad King--George III. Red London, where life and magic are revered--and where Kell was raised alongside Rhy Maresh, the roguish heir to a flourishing empire. White London--a place where people fight to control magic and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. And once upon a time, there was Black London. But no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red traveler, ambassador of the Maresh empire, carrying the monthly correspondences between the royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. 

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.


MY THOUGHTS:

“I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still.”

Just now I had a rather amazing adventure. Dear boy, was I exhausted. I know how magic excites someone. I never thought magic will drain you. The spectacular world completely drained me. I was gasping and struggling to stay calm. Now, I know why people were terrified of this series. And I have yet to read two more books. I have no regrets. But I need some time to settle down before starting the next book. 

I'm in awe at how Schwab writes. God, the writing was intense as fuck. I loved the intricate details of how the different worlds were. I liked the way how magic was induced. Magic's language compelled me. I wanted to collect trinkets from every London. I literally felt the thrum of the stone in my hands. That great, the writing was. The threads of adventures that weaved throughout the book were so good. Thank you, Schwab for giving this wonderful magic. Another magic world that begs to be worshipped. 

The characters really played out well. Through them, we can see the nature of their world. Kell, a traveler, and Rhy, the Prince from Red London and Lila, the thief from Grey London. Holland another traveler like Kell from White London. These people will turn your world upside down. Kell, with his frowning. Rhy with his bubbly charm. Lila with her badassery. Holland with his dark vibes. 

-- I loved Lila from the moment she came with her grace. I was laughing at her mischief, her trouble finding tendency will make the adventure more thrilling. What I loved about her most: if you're not cautious when she was around, she sure will gut you or rob you within a matter of seconds without you ever knowing. ALL HAIL LILA! And I forgot to say: what a stubborn ass she was!

-- Tbh, I was jealous of Kell. He was one of the two who could travel between the worlds. Why not others? And why not ME? I would sell my body parts to gain that power. At least for once. HIS LOVE FOR RHY. I'm bounded to love him for that alone. The struggle he had to make Lila hear him was hilarious. The smuggler and the thief definitely makes a good partners-in-crime. 

-- Rhy. He will make the surrounding alive by his presence alone. But I want to know more about him. Then only, I can say how much he evaded my life.

-- To learn the way how magic works was definitely tiring. But it excited me at the same time. 

-- I wonder what is going to happen to these characters in the next installment. Should I be scared? 

Overall, an amazing start to the wondrous world. Everyone start this series immediately, if not. 

MY RATING: Acceptable

Comments

Post a Comment