BOOK REVIEW #80 - THE HATING GAME


BLURB:

Nemesis (n.)
1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome;
2) A person’s undoing;
3) Joshua Templeman.
Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman hate each other. Not dislike. Not begrudgingly tolerate. Hate. And they have no problem displaying their feelings through a series of ritualistic passive aggressive maneuvers as they sit across from each other, executive assistants to co-CEOs of a publishing company. Lucy can’t understand Joshua’s joyless, uptight, meticulous approach to his job. Joshua is clearly baffled by Lucy’s overly bright clothes, quirkiness, and Pollyanna attitude.

Now up for the same promotion, their battle of wills has come to a head and Lucy refuses to back down when their latest game could cost her her dream job…But the tension between Lucy and Joshua has also reached its boiling point, and Lucy is discovering that maybe she doesn’t hate Joshua. And maybe, he doesn’t hate her either. Or maybe this is just another game.


MY THOUGHTS:


WHY? WHY? WHY?

I KNOW I shouldn't expect much. But still, my little heart gets excited by seeing how people loved this book. A dangerous game is to start a hyped book. One, you would sell your soul to the fandom or you would be disappointed so much you don't know what to do. My current state is the latter one. 

Dear Joshua Templeman,

No matter how much you hate the word nice, I'm telling you this,"You're a NICE GUY."

Always,
Jan.

The hating game:

An office romance. 
Hate-to-love relationship. 
Cute little fights. 
Damn Hilarious at times.
Sexual frustration.
Adorable Joshua.
Typical family.
Strawberries.

I'm going to divide this book into three different parts.

PART I: You'll be in a delirious world where the banters and the inner spirit of Lucy will make you laugh. Your mind will scream at you: "Why didn't you read it sooner, you dimwit." The little competition is all we need some time to bring ourselves to the world. Lucy, the little nerd, was so much invested in hating Joshua that she didn't notice how much she came to NOTICE him until it's too late.

PART II: I lost my interest in this part, where Lucy realises how much she was physically attracted to him. I was annoyed at her clinging nature. She didn't seem to have a care for anything other than jumping him the moment he lets his guard down. I was pumped up at their competition, though.

PART III: Everything escalated so quickly. Seeing the shit-head father of Joshua was frustrating. And I loved how Lucy gave a smack for that. Lucy came to know more about Joshua. Not much surprises, in my case. But still so many things happened, I came to care for Joshua. This part made me forget the second part.

I liked Joshua from the start. I know his secrets from the start. No much surprises there. But still, he managed to shake me with his bedroom wall. And I appreciate and love how he was in so much control when Lucy was literally groveling at him. God, he is a caring person. He is a lovable dork that I want to hug him forever. I was so sad at insecurity(which was totally different). 


On the whole, the hating game is a cute, little office romance that will test you, burn you and will leave you with a yearning for a man like Joshua Templeman.

MY RATING: Acceptable

Comments