BOOK REVIEW #95- A CROWN OF WISHES


BLURB:

An ancient mystery. An unlikely union. For one young princess in a state of peril, a dangerous wish could be the only answer…

She is the princess of Bharata—captured by her kingdom’s enemies, a prisoner of war. Now that she faces a future of exile and scorn, Gauri has nothing left to lose. But should she trust Vikram, the notoriously cunning prince of a neighboring land? He promises her freedom in exchange for her battle prowess. Together they can team up and win the Tournament of Wishes, a competition held in a mythical city where the Lord of Wealth promises a wish to the victor. It seems like a foolproof plan—until Gauri and Vikram arrive at the tournament and find that danger takes on new shapes: poisonous courtesans, mischievous story birds, a feast of fears, and twisted fairy revels. New trials will test their devotion, strength, and wits. But what Gauri and Vikram will soon discover is that there’s nothing more dangerous than what they most desire.

MY THOUGHTS:

A dream that I held in my hands! 

Whoa! This is one hell of a dreamy book. This is how I would love to write. But of course, it won't happen. *le sigh* The writing was simply flavored and was given in a silver palette. I literally devoured and couldn't get enough. But that doesn't mean I didn't struggle to get through it. I tasted the wise words only after I had two or more servings. Roshani is BLESSED! Bless her soul.

As I'm from India, I, of course, loved her stories deeply. When she used the settings, the characters and the culture, I would be proud and happy that through her our heritage is widely known to others. That moment when the tales that I grew up with was playing before my eyes. I was exhilarated with the feeling. And this time she went with Vikramaditya. Aww! How I loved his stories. He is definitely a wise king who was well-known for his way with words.

And then we were introduced to Gauri. At first, she strongly reminded me of someone. *cough* Caelena *cough* I was tired with her thinking how everyone was weak. For some time, everything was telling the tale rather than showing it. So I was rolling my eyes. But then as always she has grown up on me. 

The characters were well crafted. One being a smart-ass and another being a kick-ass made me a dumb-ass. I was floored by their banters and I was never tired of it. I was living for it than their slow burning love. Then came the Vetala. I totally forgot his existence. He is kind of clingy(note my pun) character. But rather than coming throughout the story, he only made some appearances. So I was obviously disappointed.

But somehow I kind of miss something. Some events looked unnecessary, at least for me. I couldn't understand why it was bounded to happen like this. The fluttery feeling didn't happen for this one.

Overall, an amazing tale to fall in love.

MY RATING: Acceptable

Comments