BOOK REVIEW #97 - ONE MAN GUY


BLURB:

A heartfelt, laugh-out-loud-funny story of romance, family, and self-discovery.

Alek Khederian should have guessed something was wrong when his parents took him to a restaurant. Everyone knows that Armenians never eat out. Between bouts of interrogating the waitress and criticizing the menu, Alek’s parents announce that he’ll be attending summer school in order to bring up his grades. Alek is sure this experience will be the perfect hellish end to his hellish freshman year of high school. He never could’ve predicted that he’d meet someone like Ethan.

Ethan is everything Alek wishes he were: confident, free-spirited, and irreverent. He can’t believe a guy this cool wants to be his friend. And before long, it seems like Ethan wants to be more than friends. Alek has never thought about having a boyfriend—he’s barely ever had a girlfriend—but maybe it’s time to think again.


MY THOUGHTS:

I'm trying to get my ass over here to write reviews. So I guess I would get on board with this book.

I picked this book for pride month to appreciate the works, to show my support for them and to learn more about it. Not because I'm obsessed with gay stories.  
DEFINITELY NOT *inner conscience screaming LIAR! LIAR! 

MOMMY'S TONGUE ON FIRE* Of course, I tried so hard to keep my mind from binge watching Supernatural. I struggled. I tried. And I won. It's not easy to avoid the voice inside my mind screaming SUPERNATURAL.

Anyway, so the story starts with a bang of an Armenian family who was very strict when it comes to holding on to their tradition, ethnicity, and reputation all the time while they are in America. To see this from a teenager view, it would look like a military camp. Traditional laws and maintaining order and all other bull craps. I would be damned if I lived like that now. I'm not belittling their lifestyle. Every people somehow accommodates their own native traditional way in their life even when they are maintaining their cool attitude like they couldn't care less.

Alek, a fourteen year dude. You know what? Fourteen year children seems to be mature nowadays than I did in my 17 year. They say they don't want to be treated like children. They say they are adults. But man, you're not. You're a CHILD. I was an awkward lonely child who knows nothing at that time. But now, even a 5 yr old acts like a mature 30 yr old. I think I need to hide under a sink when these children came to my home. Sheesh, going to be one hell of a work.

Alek was doing fine with his life until their parents told him that there is a need for him to attend his summer classes. He was completely bewildered by that decision when he doesn't even fail his class. He was what-you-call a nice guy. Not bunking their classes, not lying to their parents, blah, blah and blah. Then everything changed when a guy saved his ass from some dudes who-acts-as-dicks-but-not. He started to have adventures without his parents knowing. But of course, that won't happen forever, the school sends envelopes to their parents. Then KA-BOOM.

I have never seen this way of 'coming out' to your parents. That was hilarious, embarrassing and outright AWKWARD. And I was never swept away. Everything was okay. I expected more adorable and hilarious moments. But yeah, this was an average okay-ish book featuring different cultures. Learning about Armenians and their love for food. Hoping to read about more different people. Let's see.


MY RATINGS: Poor

Comments